Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

It was Harder than I Thought

"That priceless galaxy of misinformation called the mind..."
~ Djuna Barnes

For one of my very last assignments, I was suppose to write my very first pitch.  I read the material (all of it!) and browsed online to get a better idea. Mind you, I really thought  it wasn't going to be hard at all when I first read about the assignment.

But once I was sitting, staring at the white word doc, I had nothing. I didn't know how to begin or what to write! My mind was empty. I'll be sincere, I started to panic. This is material I should be able to pitch to that one person who wants to hear about my story, and I couldn't write anything down.

I wrote my story. I know how it begins and ends. This story has been part of my life for the past year, and I couldn't write a pitch. One thing was certain, I couldn't give up. So I did what anyone else would do.

I procrastinated.

Yes, I played SIMS on Facebook (addicting so don't play it!) and texted my boyfriend while chatting with my sister who was in school. Anything to avoid the frustration I was feeling. That is, until I came back to my senses and said, "Eva, get your butt back on track and write that pitch! Shame on you."

And I did. I started to write my pitch as I listened to one particular song that I believe fits well with my story. And wouldn't you know it? It worked. I was able to complete my first pitch. Yeah, it took me a few hours (okay, most of the day), but I did it.  I felt accomplished. I was finally able to get back on track, and I now know I need to practice writing pitches.

Because it turns out that writing a pitch is harder than I thought.

Till next time,

Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...