Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

My Thoughts on the Inciting Incident

All rights go to its rightful owner

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Chinese Proverb


While I was in the writing program, I had the opportunity to read Syd Field's The Foundation of Screenplays. That book made quite a lot of sense to me but it doesn't "click" until one puts it into action.

Take the inciting incident. Why exactly is it important?

I know I asked that question when I read the book the first time and even did my research to get the opinions of other writers. But after I started noticing it in other scripts (and my own) I knew why. Sure, my way of describing the inciting incident might not be as lengthy, but I think it makes sense.

The best way to describe the inciting incident is by comparing it to a domino effect. Before the dominos begin to fall something has to hit the first domino. It's that first incident that sets the story into motion.

For example:

If my story is about a guy who gets into this one unexpected adventure after he gets to prison, I need to figure out what made him land in prison in the first place. And that's the inciting incident. 

It doesn't have to be a big event, it has to be that one thing that changes my protagonist life (for better or worse).


As writers we learn from trial and error.

But we also have to help each other out. Which is why I wanted to write about the inciting incident. It may not sound as much, but it will make the story flow like it should.

Oh, and if you haven't read any of Syd Field's books you should. But that's a personal recommendation.

Till next time,

Eva





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...